LDT logistics have been changed for 2021 to adapt to COVID restrictions!
- Riders can sign in and start at any time during a 30 minute time window.
- We have suggested start times for each ride level, but all riders are welcome to start at any time during the window.
- Riding groups should not exceed 15-20 riders.
- All riders must be WWBC Members.
- As with all WWBC rides, face masks are mandatory for everyone at ride start and at regroups (see details below).
- PRINT ROUTE SHEETS AT HOME – no paper route sheets will be distributed!
- Make sure you “SIGN IN”– we are required to have attendance information for all riders! ("Sign in" will be done verbally at check in table. (Alternately you can text Guy at 650-704-0895. Be sure to include your full name and which route you are doing.)
LDT RIDE: BERKELEY HILLS
This ride starts climbing as soon as you leave the parking lot! We’ll climb Tunnel Road, visit Inspiration Point in Tilden Park and climb a couple of the 3 Bears. B and C riders have a short but challenging 400’ climb up Happy Valley Road. D riders challenge “Pig Farm Hill” and Reliez Valley Road. While there are lots of hills, most are not steep and the views are gorgeous. E’s add more challenging hills, including Toyonal Drive with its 20% grade. B’s and C’s have lunch in Lafayette while D’s and E’s lunch in Moraga at Bianca’s Deli. All routes return via a climb of Pinehurst Road and descent of Tunnel Road. Rain cancels. Online route sheets/maps/gps.
INFO: Guy Shuman (firstname.lastname@example.org or 650-704-0895).
Sign in 9:00 am – 9:30 am. Riders can start riding at any time.
Suggested staggered ride start times for those who want to ride in a group:
C+/D/E Riders: 9:15 departure
B/C- Riders: 9:30 departure
MEETING LOCATION: Meet at Temescal Regional Recreation Area - best to follow written directions rather than use GPS. The correct GPS address is 6500 Broadway, Oakland (not 6500 Broadview Terrace). Directions: From Hwy 24 Eastbound exit at Broadway exit. After exiting, go left on Broadway towards route 13. It's a funny intersection where it appears you will merge onto Route 13, but stay to the right, go 3/4 mile on Broadway to the entrance to Temescal Park on right (parking is free in March). Driving time from Palo Alto is 55-60 minutes. BICYCLE DIRECTIONS from Rockridge BART (1.2 miles): L on Shafter, C on Keith, L on Broadway, R into park.
NOTE: To manage group sizes, club rides are currently open to Western Wheelers members only. Learn about becoming a member
Do not join club rides if you are sick (cough, sore throat, fever, loss of smell). Riders must maintain a safe distance (minimum six feet) from each other. No drafting, pace lines, spitting or blowing noses into the air during rides. All riders must have a face covering (eg. mask, bandana, neck gaiter/buff or other without vents) to be worn at the start of each ride and whenever you are not able to maintain six feet of distance from anyone outside your household(eg. during regroups).
There is risk in all gatherings, since people without symptoms can transmit COVID-19. Participation in club rides is voluntary. Members assume the full and complete risk that is associated with exposure to and infection by COVID-19 during such participation. Please note that in the event Western Wheelers is asked by the department of public health for a list of riders participating in any club ride for purposes of Covid-19 exposure tracing, Western Wheelers will comply with such requests.